Compass believes that a safe and civil environment in school is necessary for students to learn and achieve high academic standards. Since students learn by example, our school administrator, faculty, staff, and volunteers are required to demonstrate appropriate behavior, treating others with civility and respect, and refusing to tolerate harassment, intimidation or bullying. Harassment, intimidation or bullying, like other disruptive or violent behaviors, is conduct that disrupts both a student’s ability to learn and a school’s ability to educate its students in a safe environment.
Therefore, the school district will not tolerate acts of harassment, intimidation or bullying.
For your reference, we have provided the following resources:
Compass Academy Charter School policy on bullying:
HIB coordinator- Jane Berger firstname.lastname@example.org or 856-899-5570
Ways that Compass Proactively Addressing Bullying:
- Help Box– a secured lock box located near the Counselor’s office with forms for assistance. Students can fill out the form and place in the box.
- Character Education– Character Education quotes are read over the announcements daily. Teachers also use Character Education traits in their teaching and morning meetings. Each month students are chosen for showing the highlighted monthly trait and they receive an award.
- Monitoring- Students are monitored in the hallways during breakfast and lunch with the assistance of teachers, aides, and Safety Patrols. Recess is also a well-monitored area with three teachers during lunch and four teachers during recess.
- Counseling Groups- Students are invited to attend girls and boys groups focusing on leadership skills, self-esteem, and conflict resolution.
- Whole Class Counseling Lessons- The school counselor develops monthly lessons based on the school climate focus. Teachers may request extra lessons if the students need further focus on an issue occurring with the class (honesty, conflict resolution, empathy, responsibility, etc.).
- Student Shout-Out- Students are able to give one another a Shout Out if they experience another student contributing “positive vibes” around the school (using manners, helping one another, working hard on a project, being a great team player, etc.). Shout-Outs are posted on the wall for all to see. Teachers also participate in Shout-Outs for students.
- UpStander Shout-Outs- Students are announced over the intercom when another student gives them an UpStander Shout-Out. Students are encouraged to always stand up for one another and to never be a bystander when they see that someone is being hurt.
- Vineland Police Department- Officer Colvin is our assigned school officer and conducts lessons and monthly visits to the school. He checks in with the Principal and School Counselor to provide support for any student infractions.
- Southwest Council- Southwest Council provides 10 weeks of lessons for our second through third grade students. These lessons focus on making good decisions, peer pressure, drugs, and alcohol.
- Safety Team- Compass has a Safety Team that meets on a regular basis throughout the year. The participants review bullying reports, school climate surveys, and student infraction reports if they involve peer-to-peer conflicts. This committee also helps to develop No Name Calling Week and Week of Respect activities throughout the school.